Community Consultation & Stakeholder Engagement Experienced Project Leader / Manager
Role: Community Consultation & Stakeholder Engagement –
Experienced Project Leader / Manager
Salary: £38,000 – 45,000 per annum (depending on experience)
Type: Full-time, permanent post, including 6-month probationary period
Location: EC2A, Shoreditch
Soundings is a community and stakeholder engagement consultancy with over 15 years’ experience
working on some of the most significant and challenging built environment projects in London and the
UK. We are a team of around 25 people working alongside sister company, Fluid. Our people come
from a range of backgrounds in architecture, planning, urbanism and communications skills with a
common purpose to deliver better places through active participation. This makes for a rich
environment and office culture.
We are acknowledged field leaders in consultation-led regeneration, placemaking and co-design. We
work across both the public and private sector, from strategic frameworks and large-scale area
regeneration; to cultural strategies, socio-cultural research, estate regeneration, neighbourhood plans,
public realm projects, masterplans and more.
The ultimate aim of what we do is to assist the creation of deliverable and sustainable development,
where local voices can meaningfully contribute to decision-making, inform more integrated thinking
and shape the future of places in intelligent, imaginative and equitable ways.
Get to know us better by visiting our website www.soundingsoffice.com
We are recruiting for a Project Leader / Manager to lead a team (or teams) of engagement
professionals on a small number of significant, mostly London-based projects. This is a client-facing
role working closely with Directors and other project leaders across the business, and sister company
Fluid. The post holder will be responsible for delivering high quality projects to time, scope and budget.
You will also be working as part of the management team to continually develop our services and
- Manage and lead team(s) of ca. 3-5 core professionals, across a limited range of significant, concurrent projects;
- Plan, provide strategic oversight on and oversee the end to end delivery of consultation and engagement strategies on large scale urban change and rural projects, working closely with the client, the design team and, where required, key public and private sector stakeholders and partners such as land-owners, major local employers, infrastructure delivery agencies and councils;
- Be closely involved in the production and delivery of critical documents such as fee projections, public facing media, exhibitions, Statements of Community Involvement and detailed consultation reports;
- Lead or provide strategic input into project communications and real public relations working closely with the client team or other appointed consultants;
- Resource, budget and provide pipeline management across the portfolio;
- Work closely with the directorship to inform business development. Key operational areas include:
- Services and products
- Markets and industry
- People and process (internal)
- Portfolio management
- Digital Engagement
- Support team members in the development of consultation strategies, events and communications – seeking innovative and effective approaches;
- Have excellent interpersonal skills and the proven ability to structure, chair and facilitate meetings with important individuals, stakeholders, councillors, officers and the public (usually in the form of a focus group of some kind).
Knowledge & skills
- The ideal candidate will be educated to degree level, or above, in a related field
(planning, architecture, urban design, urbanism, strategic communications in relation
to urban development)
- You must have a minimum of three to four years’ experience (depending on context)
in a similar role within the industry with proven experience of delivering consultation
processes from end to end. Creative forms of engagement are particularly relevant;
- Have a thorough understanding of the sector and role of engagement in delivering
- Knowledge of the UK planning process and development industry is key;
- Knowledge of consultation and engagement approaches to involve a diverse range of
stakeholders is key;
- It is essential to have strong Adobe Creative suite and Microsoft Office skills;
- Experience of embedding social value and of carrying out impact assessments is
advantageous as is knowledge of digital engagement tools and prior experience in
such a line of work.
- We are looking for a reliable self-starter who is comfortable responding to changing
project needs and tight deadlines;
- Stong team leadership and management, strategic foresight and planning;
- Confident interacting with, and advising, senior stakeholders and clients;
- Strong interpersonal skills and sensitivity to manage challenging conversations at all
- Attention to detail, organisational skills and ability to deliver and coordinate delivery
- Excellent oral communication and report writing skills.
How to apply
If you would like to apply for this position, please send you CV and cover letter explaining your interest
and suitability to firstname.lastname@example.org
- The deadline for applications is Monday 3 rd August 2020 (midnight)
- 45-minute Interviews will be held on Friday, 7 th August 2020 (via Zoom or Microsoft Teams)
(Due to the high volume of applications, only successful applicants will be contacted)
No agencies please.
Soundings is an equal opportunities employer and values diversity and inclusive practice.